- Caught the bus at 10am
- I waited and watched the selections and fights all day with not much to do.
- Connie locked up inside the filming pits, but allowed out during the later part of the day. She over heard the celebrities say they are only wanting spinners.
- All rounds of the selections were done. Connie was not talked to by any of the celebrities until after they had filled their 3 spots. The American and Old Soccer Guy came to talk to ask her about Huntsman and were surprised that she spoke perfect English, answered every question confidently and mentioned that we’ve been competing for 16 years. Once they found out how experienced we were they were disappointed that they didn’t talk to us earlier. Annoying.
- 12 of the 48 robots didn’t get selected to fight in the first round. Earth Mover was selected to join a team without having to fight, so the remaining 11 become losers without fighting. Doesn’t seem fair. We could have at least had a practice or demonstration fight.
- Connie kept practicing driving. Got a lot better and drove all around the pits. Started getting in other peoples way, but was doing perfect flick-turns.
- TV Production crew feeling sorry for us. Might find a way for me to be more involved, including possibly controlling the weapon.
- Finally got the robot back from the holding area after 3 days. Batteries fine. Tightened a weapon chain as it had be worrying me.
- Finally allowed back to the hotel at 1am.
Day 9 Continued
- Woke up at 10:30. Told we weren’t needed for the day as the winners and international teams would be fighting.
- WeChat blew up about a bad judge call between ******* and *******. Seems that the judge is using his own rules and not the standard international set of rules. None of the teams seem to understand how he is coming to come conclusions. I wish I was there to watch.
- Caught a taxi to a big shopping centre. Brought a red shirt that matched Connie’s just in case I was allowed to help her.
- While organising dinner got a call that the international fights were finishing and that we were needed for rehearsal. Seems that they can do 12 international fights in the same time it takes to run 5 Chinese fights.
- Caught taxi at 8:30pm for the venue. Catherine stayed at the hotel with Alice.
- Found that 4 international teams lost. 8 won. But it seems that everyone wants decision on the ****** fight to be reversed.
- While Connie had rehearsal Chinese teams started asking a lot of questions. They are getting less afraid of me. Silver Scorpion wants to build a copy of Shunt and is asking how to copy my axe mechanism, but it seems a bit is getting lost in translation.
- Medusa is made by a team of students and teachers. They have also entered Thunder. We checked the calculations for the battery capacity of Medusa and found that the batteries are undersize for the weapon, which is why it dies toward the end of its fights. But the rest of the robot looks nice.
- Connie came back with instructions of the next phase of the competition. Very confusing and involves running to be selected to fight, so they are letting me substitute for Connie as they are afraid of letting a pregnant woman run. They seem to be afraid of letting Connie do anything, which is why she was given fancy dust masks and an extra fancy chair in the pits. So I guess I can be her stunt man during filming.