Huntsman has been created up and is now on its way to Chine for King of Bots next month. A custom crate was made around the robot and all the tools and spare parts loaded in. The only things not in the crate are the batteries and the cordless drill that will be used to open the crate. Sad to see it leave but we look forward to seeing him again in a few days.
With only days left before Huntsman needs to be boxed up and sent to China a final test of the weapon was needed. The target was an old laser printer. While this was only a quick test no problems have been found and we are good to go.
Not much news to actually post but here is a gallery of pics of Huntsman’s new paint job.
After the last testing of Huntsmans weapon a problem was found with the weapon drive train. The 3rd stage axle has bent and will need upgrading. But while waiting for new brass bushings to arrive the top covers have been bent into shape. Now it is time to paint.
After much deliberation we decided to paint Huntsman red with black internals. Black stripes will be added over the top later. All the painting was done a the school where Daniel teaches by one of his fellow teachers who has experience painting cars. First a primer was painted on and then the black internals and red outside with a 2 pack paint. It looks fantastic.
The wheels have been mounted and the motors wired up. The electronics are only temporarily mounted but Huntsman has had its first drive. The set screws on the gears are slipping and there is too much weight over the front but it does work. With new castors under the front and the top and side armour mounted the weight should be more evenly distributed.
After the successful weapon test a week ago progress has been made with more machining and welding. The beginning of the school year has slowed things down some what but we are still on schedule.
The second axe has been prepared. This axe is what I like to call the “spikey axe”. It has a more commonly shaped spike head that is designed to pierce opponents top armour. It has extra steel welded to the head of the axe so it weighs almost the same as the Dane axe. The King Of Bots organises have already expressed concern for their arena floor so the spikey axe may not be allowed to be used.
The drive is also being worked on. The drive train will be a 2 stage reduction with the first stage being a spur gear reduction and the second via chains. Due to some delivery concerns we have ordered a couple of different sets of gears from different suppliers so have some choices. The wheel hubs are being welded now so a test drive should be able to happen soon.
Huntsman took its first trip outside to have its weapon tested. The electronics have not been formally mounted in the robot as this was a test of the motors and weapon drive train. There was some damage to the rear of the chassis at the limit switch while testing the axe return. The power of the return swing will be limited once the robot is complete but not at this stage.
This first test went well and everything is looking good. Not sure where the lizard ended up though.
The front armor has now been welded as well as welding the weapon hub assembly. The weapon and drive axles have been fitted. The axles are M30 bolts which are rated to a shear load of 337kN. This should make finding replacement axles in another country easy as they are off the shelf parts.
Now that the steel has been cut the welding can begin. The welding is done from the centre out starting with the weapon supports. All the axles and drive are test fitted between welds to ensure that the chassis is not warping. This also gives an opportunity to cut the chain to the correct lengths and measure the spaces for the axles.
Construction has started on Hellfire Labs new heavyweight robot to compete on the 2019 King of Bots in Shanghai China. Huntsman.
While we are still waiting for motors and drive train parts to be delivered batteries and speed controllers have arrived.
Construction has now begun with a power switch.